Query - When an employee seeks permission for higher study with out seeking any financial help and (study) leave can he be asked to explain that how the degree will be beneficial to the department ?  (Mr. Dey, Kharagpur)

Reply - The issue of permission for higher study has been dealt in the Ministry of Home Affairs OM No. 25/27/52-Essts., dated 03/05/1952 and OM No. 130/54-Esst.(A), dated 26/02/1955, which stipulated that ordinarily, there can be no objection to the pursuit of knowledge by the Govt. employee in their leisure hours. But this must be subject to the condition that such pursuit does in no way detract from their efficiency. There is no mention of benefit to department or relationship to the field of study and job of the employee. Hence, such a requirement should not be insisted from the employee.

However, it must be noted that benefit to department/Govt. and relationship to the field of study and job of the employee may be insisted for sanction of one-time incentive for acquiring higher qualification, which is a totally different issue.



03/07/2012 19:12

can i do b.a.private or diploma distance education together,please send me rule if possible,i m govt. servant, i had given ba 2nd year exam and diploma final year exam (6th Semester) this year.it is necessary for NOC.

17/07/2012 15:26

me crpf me asi/m post par work karte huye kya LLB regular morning/evening classes attend karte huye kar sakati hu.

08/09/2013 09:48

Yes u can do it.

mukesh kumar
11/03/2013 20:42

How can i do M.sc(chemistry)iv semester
i m doing job in BHEL as lab assistant(chemist)
when i join bhel i have completed iii sem
my probation period has been completed
now i want to complete my iv semester
kindly tell me rule

28/06/2013 23:09

05/08/2013 17:52

I am doing govt job in state govt I want to per sue PhD in mgmt how can l get noc from govt to enrolled one more thing that can I get paid leave if studies is not beneficial to my job


Leave a Reply